New York Times Bestselling Author, Political Risk Expert, Unlimited Access to Global Thought Leaders
Larry McDonald’s Topics:
- A Close Look at Global Systemic Risk
- Global Economic Outlook: 2013 and Beyond
- China & Japan: The Epicenter of Risk and Unimaginable Debt
- The Rise of Emerging Market Economies
- Investment Risk Management
- The Latest Market Moving Policy out of Washington D.C.
- QE3, Federal Reserve Policy, and How It Will Affect Global Markets.
Larry’s speaking clients include: IBM, Franklin Templeton Funds, Hartford Funds, Fidelity, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Calamos Funds and more.
Read The Systemic Risk Indicators: What Are They Telling Us Today?
Legendary insider, thought-provoking and always timely Larry McDonald presents his captivating views on the Financial Crisis and European Sovereign Debt Crisis, spiced with his own risk indicators and risk management lessons sprinkled with humor. McDonald warned in 2006 about the subprime mortgage crisis and the lasting implications on global financial markets when working as Vice President at Lehman Brothers. From 2007-2008, McDonald led his team into betting against the subprime mortgage market profiting the firm over $2 billion before it’s demise. In 2009, he wrote the international bestseller, A Colossal Failure Of Common Sense, The Inside Story Of The Collapse Of Lehman Brothers.
Larry McDonald’s own risk indicators and risk management lessons are designed for Family Offices, Sovereign Wealth Funds, Multi-Family Offices, and any investment group hoping to avoid the dangerous pitfalls in the post-Lehman markets.
McDonald has access to some of the world’s most talented leaders and is provided with privileged information. Among them are White House Advisors, Congressmen, Senators, Hedge Fund Managers and Fortune 500 Executives. He was featured in the Academy Award winning documentary, Inside Job, and is a regular contributor on Bloomberg TV and Radio, CNBC and Fox Business.
Big Market Calls Since 2006:
- March 2014 – Larry was one of the very few bulls on Russian equities, Russian Stocks rose close to 30% over the following three months
- January 2014 – In calls to clients and on passionate debates on CNBC, Larry recommended long bond call on treasury yields, which moved from 3% to 2.4% in one of the great bond market rallies of all time
- 2013-14 – China and Japan, a look at the next Lehman event heading toward the global markets make political risk in the 21st Century; a review of secular change in the global markets sensitivity to political risk
- Dec. 2013 – Larry made public and passionate call on gold miners – over the following six months the sector rose 25%
- On July 25th, 2012, Sandy Weill, Former Head of Citibank, which breached Glass-Steagall, admits on CNBC this was a major mistake. The entire prologue of Lawrence McDonald’s book, Colossal Failure of Common Sense, 2009, was devoted to an attack on the politicians and bankers who took that Act down.In 2006, he called the impending subprime mortgage crisis
- In June 2012, he accurately predicted live on CNBC that investors should remain long volatility, and light on US equities.In 2007, he led the team at Lehman Brothers, and bet against the subprime market, and made over $2 billion for Lehman Brothers before its demise.
- In May of 2011, warned against the choppy waters the world would experience that summer, when the markets eventually crashed by 10%. In 2008, correctly predicted the crash of the oil and commodity markets.
- In February 2010, was one of the first to identify Greece as the biggest threat to the global economic recovery.
- In March 2009, correctly called the market bottom.
Larry in the News
Larry on CNBC
Larry on CNBC